Sunday, August 21, 2011

Big gathering anxiety?


I have it. Is it even a real thing? I get anxiety before going to a big gathering of people now that I have a child. It has gotten harder as my son has grown older. Now that he is a *big boy* he isn't really, he is till my little baby, people seem to think  he is just a big toy they get to lug around and do things with. Seriously, people, my child is not a chimpanzee at the zoo (even if he does act like one), he is a little boy. You don't have to feed him things just for fun, he isn't a little experimental human being you get to use to see if he likes it/see if he will do it/see if he will cry etc.

I'm sure people only have the best of intentions *eye roll*, but enough is enough. No I do not need help getting my son dressed for the pool, you do know that I take care of him all day long, every single day, right? I can get swim trunks on him without your help. And thank you so much for snatching the sunscreen out of my hand and lathering it all over his face, now that his eyes are red and burning I feel even  more thankful for you help.

Okay, okay. It isn't always that bad, it is actually not that bad most of the time, although those are true stories. If you have big gathering anxiety for any reason the best thing to do, in my humble opinion of course, is to go into it with a plan. For example, I have now learned to take my child to a separate room or area to get him ready for the pool (almost everyone we know has a pool), if I'm not sure what will be served at mealtime I pack something small for Danny just in case (for example, he only has four front teeth, steak is not doable so he would need his own meal packed).

Speaking of pools, we have very strict pool rules as well. This helps keep the little one safe and keeps mom from having a nervous break down. The quick rules are that mom or dad has to be present for him to be allowed in the pool. Period. No exceptions. When one of us is in the pool with our son, all eyes on him. Even if someone else is holding him, one of us is watching. No one knows our kid as well as we do, and we know that he is a squirmy, fast, determined kid, so we keep an eye on him regardless in the pool.

If you're still with me on this rambling post then good for you!! *Round of applause* My point is that if you get nervous before taking your child to a big gathering all you have to do is have a plan, and keep yourself in control of the child. And if things get touchy, leave.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?