Monday, August 29, 2011

"It Wont Be Like This For Long"


 
This song, and this phrase has been on my mind a lot lately. My little boy is growing up so fast, I still call him baby but he isn't one anymore. He is a toddler, almost a big boy, he is getting there too quickly for me.

Last night I was putting him to bed, holding him and singing him a song when he put his arms around my neck and hugged me tight. As I stood there holding my baby cheek to cheek I thought how lucky I am to have this little person in my life. I know he wont always be so sweet, he wont always love me to pieces and he wont always think that the sun rises and sets with me, but right now he does. I am doing my very best to cherish this time in his life as much as possible. I plan to hug and kiss that little guy as much as possible, because like Darius says "It wont be like this for long."

My son is definitely growing up in a different time then I did. I mean, did our parents even care about us in the 90's? Ok, I know they cared about us, but it doesn't seem like we (we being any person born in the 80s-90s) were nearly as valued and cherished as much as *we* cherish our children. Maybe my generation is more emotionally available, maybe we know more about the preciousness of children because we were told to take our time growing up and to enjoy our youth. Maybe we are more aware of the occasions when children are lost, stolen, and taken to heaven too soon, maybe we are more aware of the fact that so many couples suffer infertility and that we are lucky and blessed to be able to have children. Regardless of the reason, I am so happy that I am living in a time where it is expected to dote over your child as if it's the last time you'll ever see them, every day. I am glad to be aware of all the terrible things that can happen in the world, because it has made me value my family so much that I don't take a minute for granted.

I wasn't the most emotional person in the world before becoming a mother, I am still pretty good at keeping it together. But, when I hear a song like this I completely melt. It is a nice reminder that childhood is so short and we need to enjoy every moment. I already miss the days when my baby would fall asleep while nursing before bed. I remember knowing, even then, that I would miss that time. I would hold him for an extra five minutes and just look at his sweet face. I miss his first smiles, his tiny clothes and his tight little grip on my finger. Cheek to cheek hugs are just as sweet as those first moments, please enjoy ever moment with your babies. After all, our parents keep telling us they're going to hate is in 15 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?