Friday, August 19, 2011

What to do


. . . With a toddler who is insistent on giving himself a concussion? Seriously, my son has a personal vendetta against his own head. He currently has four bruises on his forehead (all from different altercations with the floor/wall/fireplace/banister as well as a scratch across his chest. AND, all of the bruises were obtained in the last three days.

Day one of combat: 1st bruise-running full speed (for what reason, I don't know), tripped and went head first into the banister. 2nd bruise-slipped while trying to climb onto the toilet to get his toothbrush (another story for another day). Scratch-climbing onto a PartyLite box, fell and was attacked by the corner of the box on the way down.
Day two of combat: 3rd bruise-trying to climb up the couch arm, slipped and hit his head on the wood beneath the fabric (there is wood beneath the fabric?!?!). 4th bruise- Climbed onto the rocking chair, then tried to grab something on the floor and took a nose dive right onto the marble fireplace hearth.

I need to A. buy the kid a helmet or B. run much faster when I see him almost hurting himself.

I know that "boys will be boys," and I'm fine with that, but is this really just a boy thing, or a personality trait? I mean, the fact that he is a boy couldn't possibly be the reason why he is so rambunctious, it has to be his personality. Maybe boys are a little more wild than girls, but this kid is nuts. My husband and I can't even go to church anymore without getting a babysitter because he wont sit still. All the other children his age sit nicely with their parents, some even fall asleep in their arms. My son never does that. Never. Even when he was a sweet eight week old baby would he do that. He has always been alert, always wanting to get into something, look at something, touch something.

This is literally the only time he ever fell asleep in my arms:

4th of July, 2010. Danny was about ten weeks old.
I'm not going to lie. I kind of love that my child is so crazy rambunctious. Even though he is a lot of work, and almost always looks like I have beaten him, it is so fun to watch him run around, play and discover new things. I love how he always wants to wave to strangers and be friendly to anyone who comes near him.

I've always said that because Danny is so easy (he's been sick twice, never cried because of teeth, always sleeps well, has never cried for no reason etc) that my next child will probably be a terror who can never be made happy. If I have opposite children my next one will most likely just sit there and read a book all day long. I wouldn't even know what to do with a kid like that. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?