Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Today I played in the dirt.

I did. I played in the dirt today. I am officially a boy. Where can I turn in my Nsync CD's and curling iron (yes, those items are crucial to the female population)?

I am not a super girly-girl, but I definitely like makeup, pretty clothes, showers and clean finger nails. I never really envisioned that I would sit in a pile of crap dirt and dig with my bare hands. We went on our daily walk/run which always ends up at the park. After several minutes of running, swinging and sliding my little man walked over to the fence, started picking up crap dirt and repeatedly put the crap dirt through the fence holes. Eventually his lazy hiney sat down and just started digging. Now I know he is a toddler, and a boy to top it off, but I do think this goes in The Ick Factor category. . . He dug up dirt, wood chips and all kinds of other dirt-like stuff. I stood there watching him and suddenly a slew of guilt came over me. This poor kid doesn't have a back yard, doesn't have a sand box and to top it off he doesn't have a sibling to dig in the dirt with. I am not one who usually resits mom guilt so I sat my guilt-ridden hiney down and started digging with him. He couldn't have been happier to have a partner in crime to dig up the crap with.

There are so many things that I cannot give my child because of circumstances that are not in my control, but I can always give him my time, love and attention. I think that will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?