Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Sweetest Thing


My son does a lot of really sweet things.

Like hugging me tightly, cheek to cheek. Or, laying his head on my lab for a quick couple of seconds when he walks by. There are too many sweet things to pick a favorite, but my favorite thing today was when he waved at the gang from Mickey Mouse Club House on tv during the theme song.

Every time I turn on the DVD player he quickly runs over to his little couch (Mickey Mouse Club House couch, of course), he sits patiently not-so-patiently while I fiddle with the PS3 remote until I turn on his favorite show on earth. Mickey. Mouse. Club. House. As soon as Mickey Mouse come walking up the hill my son turns to look at me, smiles hugely and lets out the happiest laugh you have ever heard. As soon as the theme song begins he will stand up and bounce his little hiney up and down, and then he waves to each character as they come up on the screen.

Danny watching MMCH. Summer 2011.

"Roll Call!" Danny waves, hi Donald, hi Daisy, hi Goofy, hi Pluto, hi Minnie, hi Mickey.

So darn cute! As you can see in the above picture, Danny often gets tried from his greetings and dance that he needs to take a moment. What a life.

I am a firm believer in TV. I think every kid deserves a break from playing and running a muck. A chance to just sit down, relax and take a breather from their hectic day. Our toddler tv rules:

*It has so have some sort of educational aspect
*It has to be geared towards younger children, it can't be an adult show disguised as a cartoon (Sponge Bob anyone??)
*It can't drive Mommy crazy
*It has to be found on either PBS, Disney or Sprout

Approved TV shows by this Mommy (and the Daddy):

Mickey Mouse Club House
Sesame Street
Word World
Dinosaur Train
Curious George (Daddy won that one)
Little Einsteins
Martha Speaks

We typically allow our son to watch about an hour of TV each morning while we get ready for school/work. It seems like too much TV time to me, but since my husband grew up in front of the TV it is a compromise in our household. Sometimes I allow Danny to watch a 30 minute show while I make dinner, if he isn't content playing in his room. I think each family should set their own TV rules, if you don't you might find your family to be spending more time watching TV than reading or playing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?