Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Non-Toxic Cleaning

I started my non-toxic cleaning venture about a year ago. After thinking about it, I mean really thinking about it, I decided that it wasn't a very good idea to clean my sons toys/highchair/anything with 409, bleach, lysol, or any other toxic cleaner. The kid was putting everything in his mouth, so it seemed really gross to let him chew on something that I had recently doused in chemical cleaners.

So my BIG (lol) project last June was to make my own cleaner. It was a lot of work (sarcasm). I had to buy a spray bottle:


I had to buy some vinegar:

Mine is always an off brand, about $2 a gallon.





I mixed it half and half with tap water:

Then to make it smell not so vinegary, I added vanilla extract, but I soon realized that it took a lot, and it turned the cleaner brown. Now I use almond extract. It takes a lot less, and is clear.


Again, always an off brand.    





In just a few simple steps I changed my life! I don't mean to be so dramatic, but if you know me you know that I am a CLEAN FREAK!!! So to have a cleaner that I absolutely love, can make myself (for much, much cheaper than buying), and can use on everything, it is HUGE. I never feel guilty about cleaning anything in our house. I don't feel like I am going to die from the fumes when I clean, and, this is the best part, it is completely safe. If my son were to lick the table before I got the paper towel to wipe it up, it would be ok. If he climbed the kitchen counter and got the spray bottle out of the basket and poured it all over his body, it would be ok. 
 
I clean my bathrooms, my kitchen, my table, toys, kitchen and bathroom floors, mirrors, windows, EVERYTHING with this stuff. 
 
The only downside is that I can't use the "toxic fumes" excuse to have my husband clean like I did during my last pregnancy. Healthy living comes at a cost I suppose :).
 
I have heard some people say that they use essential oils to scent their cleaner, I'd like to find a citrusy smell, but I haven't really looked hard enough to try anything new yet. 
 
My next "big" project will be to make my own furniture polish. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?