Friday, June 22, 2012

Carseats

Technically, I think it is car seats, but I have been writing it as carseats for so long that I refuse to stop.

Anyway, carseats are on my mind these days. Not only am I trying to decide if I should have the kids in separate rows in the car, to keep them both in the center seat, or to let them sit side by side, but I just purchased a new infant carseat today.

When I was looking into infant carseats for Danny it was a no brainer. The Chicco Keyfit 22 was the #1 safety rated infant carseat, and Chicco has far fewer recalls than all the other carseat brands. By a lot.

The carseat served us well, it was easy to use, easy to install, and not too heavy. Danny always seemed very comfortable in it, and despite the fact that many reviews said their baby was always super sweaty in it, I got Danny through a very humid Maryland summer without ever seeing it as an issue.

It wasn't even a question as to what carseat we would buy for our new baby girl, it would be a Chicco Keyfit. It seems like Chicco is phasing out the Keyfit 22 and will only be selling the Keyfit 30. I haven't read this anywhere, but all the stores seem to be out of stock of the 22, and the ones who have it seem to be jacking up the price. My guess it is because more and more people are keeping their children rear facing longer (yay).

With Danny I wanted neutral colors, so he got a green carseat. Now that we are having a girl I would have liked to get something girly, but without buying the whole travel system, and wanting the 22 instead of the 30, so girlfriend will be riding in style in this seat for at least her first year.

I am rather excited for it to come in the mail. I bought it from mystrollers.com, and thanks to a little internet digging I got a 15% off coupon, which ended up with a price tag of $144.49 shipped. That hurt a little, since it was on Amazon about two months ago for $119, but now Amazon has it for over $200. I will take what I got.

Now I have to start thinking about how fun it will be to carry this carseat, with a newborn in it, while wrangling Danny to where ever we are trying to go.

2 comments:

  1. We have a Chicco car seat (Keyfit 30) and stroller and LOVE them both! It is also the only carseat that can safely transport preemies (according to the NICU). We were still using the infant carrier in my hubs car (short trips) up until a month ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the travel system! We kept the stroller, but traded in the carseat when Danny grew out of it. I wanted the Keyfit 22 since I was so ready for Danny to be in a bigger seat by the time he was 20 lbs, and it saved a bit of money. I wish Chicco made toddler carseats!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about this Mommy post?