Monday, May 7, 2012

Grandma

So my graduation is in two weeks (two weeks!!!), so I want to take this opportunity to praise my grandmother, and say how touched I have been by her kind words.

It has been no secret that I plan to be a stay at home (or at least work at home) mom while my children are young. Pretty much from the time I was pregnant with Danny I knew that I couldn't leave him in the care of others while I work. I mean to say nothing against mothers who work outside the home, I think those women are superstars, it just isn't for me. Emotionally I am not strong enough. Even with the life plan to be a SAHM I still wanted to finish college. When Danny was four months old I began my final two years of college at the University of Maryland. Since then I have not had a huge load of support, although there have been people who I know I never could have done this without, there have been enough naysayers to take note. People have asked why I would bother getting a degree if I am "just going to stay home." Or they will ask why I waste my time. The look of complete shock when I tell people I'm not looking for a job because I plan on staying home, it priceless.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the naysayers say. I know that an education is not "wasted" on someone who will stay home to raise his or her children. I actually believe that if you plan to stay home with your kids you should get a college degree, after all, you are going to be your child's first, and most important teacher.

The most shocking things that I have heard from anyone about my going to college with a young child to care for is my Grandma. Grandma grew up during the depression, she married young and was a Navy wife for over thirty years. She raised five children, often on her own when my Grandpa was at sea. She can recall a time when she "didn't have a dollar to buy a tube of lipstick." I have no doubt that her own children never went without. It sounds like she was Supermom, I can tell you with complete certainty that she is Supergrandma. I wouldn't be who I am today with out her.

Anyway, when I hear her say how proud she is of me for making up my mind to go to college, even though I don't plan on getting a job is probably the most special thing in the world to me. She has told me several times over the last few months how proud she is of me for working hard and taking care of Danny, and how proud she is that I am going to graduate from college. I know that my Grandma never had the chance to go to college, and she was very happy when she sent her daughters to college. It is really nice, and encouraging when she gives me her stamp of approval, and shows me that she completely understands.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?