Friday, May 25, 2012

The dead mouse

Alzheimer's Disease is nothing to joke about. It is a tragic way for an elderly person to spend the final years of his or her life. I know this because my Grandpa is suffering from the disease. He is 84-years-old, and in great physical health. He seems to be doing pretty well for a man well into his eighties, but he definitely has memory issues that seem to be affecting him more and more.

All that being said, sometimes humor is the only way to survive certain things in life. Today was just one of those days where you either laugh or cry, and laughing always seems like a better option.

I took Danny to my Grandma and Grandpa's house today for his first time in the pool for the season. We did a quick hello to the Grandparents and then made our way to the pool. Not long after Danny got in the pool, and was happily playing on the first step, my Grandma and Grandpa came by to do some outdoor work. Grandpa was cleaning the pool skimmers, and Grandma was chatting me up. A few minutes go by when all of the sudden Grandpa hurls a dead mouse at us, it lands right in between Grandma and me.

The mouse was much less cute, and much more dead, than this mouse.



I wasn't sure what to say or do, as Danny made a horrific face at the mouse carcass sitting on the pool deck, very close to him. I guess I must have yelled 'GRANDPA, DANNY CANNOT PLAY WITH A DEAD MOUSE" because Grandma quickly jumped in, in complete disgust and made Gpa get rid of the mouse. Grandpa was laughing the whole time and just kept saying "I thought Danny might want to play with it." Grandma and I were horrified, we even washed the deck down, you know, just in case there were mouse germs hanging around.

I am still laughing about it. I can't wait to tell all my cousins about the dead mouse that Grandpa threw at my two-year-old son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?