Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th!!

Other than the fact that we couldn't see fireworks today (the worst thing that has happened since becoming a one car family), it was a perfect, and super fun 4th of July for the Rice family.

After a shaky start to the day; Stephen got off early, I thought someone broke in and almost knocked him out via baseball bat we got on with our big 4th of July plans. I, still celebrating the fact that I DON'T have Gestational Diabetes started off our day by making red, white and blue pancakes for Danny. Strawberries and blueberries mixed in the pancake mix. I stand by my belief that dads always make pankcakes better than moms, but they turned out pretty nicely. After breakfast Danny and I played, and then packed a box of stuff from his room. He seemed really confused at first about what I was doing, but once I explained to him that we had to pack his things to take to the new house he was on board. He keeps calling the new house "home," and he brought me things to put in the box and kept saying "home, home." He wanted me to put all of his Mickey Mouse stuffed animals in the box, I think he is afraid we are gong to leave some of his stuff behind.

After giving Stephen several hours of sleep, he is still on midnight shift, we went to a parade in a small town outside of Annapolis. Danny was in heaven, with the fire trucks, horses and old cars, I don't think we could have done anything that would have made him more happy!

It was the first real 4th of July event we've done since having Danny. We haven't yet made fireworks since having Danny around, and it never occurred to me to take him to a parade until this year. We had a great time, then did our usual holiday/Sunday routine, which is a cookout and swimming at my Grandma and Grandpa's house.


We have a certified water rat on our hands. If Stephen and I ever wanted to sit around, snack and chat with the adults, forget it! Danny is in the pool from the time we get there until the time we leave. It takes some coaxing to get him to take a break from swimming to eat, even if we are offering cake! One of us is always in the pool with Danny. Today he experienced his first "pool toe," but that didn't stop him from wanting to swim. I'm not sure what I am going to do with this kid once the weather turns and the pools close. I am screwed. . .

4th of July is always one of my favorite holidays. Not only do I LOVE Summertime, but my husband is a Marine, I come from a big military family, we all consider ourselves patriots. I love the patriotism that comes out around the 4th of July. I love how people talk about how great the US is, instead of fighting about it. I love the American Flag cake that my Grandma makes each year.

I hope everyone had a very happy 4th, and remember, freedom isn't free!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?