Monday, July 18, 2011

"In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms"

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I am a stay-at-home mom (other than that whole college thing). Now I may or may not have mentioned this before, but I have gotten my fair share of grief for that choice that my husband and I made. These naysayers (as Dr. Laura puts it) have said things like "why are you bothering getting a degree" or "just get over it, everyone leaves there kids" and "no one wants someone else to raise their kids, but you can't live on a single income." A lot of these naysayers pretty much say the same thing in the end and that is "get over it." Well I wont. I can't. I know that there are so many ways in which different families can function, this is simply our way. Mom stays home and raises the kids and dad goes to work (for money).

Keeping all this in mind while I was rummaging through the Barnes and Noble 50% off bin a couple of weeks ago I found this book (for $2.98 after the discounts) In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms by Dr. Laura Schlessinger.  I had heard of Dr. Laura before, but didn't really know anything about her. I bought this book only because of the title and the price.

I read the dedication and was in tears. Dr. Laura recalls an email she once received that captures the exact sentiment I feel about wanting to stay home and raise my children.

Here are my favorite parts of that email:

I had to spend as much time with my children as I could. My husband worked extra hours, I made do with what we had, and we made things work for us. My husband would work at night or at home, but if there was a baseball game-he was there. I but everyone's hair, including my own, did my own nails, and never bought anything that was on ale. We were happy.

There were many days where I was pulling out my hair, found myself screaming at them, and was totally exhausted by the end of the day, thinking to myself, "Any other work would be a pleasant relief." But there were also many moments I would never trade for any job, no matter what the pay. Those moments when your child gives you a smile or a look you never forget, moments when they would give you a kiss, a hug or just hold your hand for no reason. Those are the moments a mother treasures in her heart forever and they can never be replaced, not even by a grandmother.

The woman goes on to tell Dr. Laura that her middle son passed away at the age of 22 and how grateful she is for all of the simple moments she shared with him while she was staying home, raising her son.

We never know what life has in store for us and our children, because of this I want to do everything in my power to cherish my kids, love them to pieces and always be there for them.

It is my hope then when my own naysayers are bringing me down I will be able to find a passage in this book that helps lift me back up.

I promise to share those passages with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?