Saturday, July 9, 2011

"The Beach"

A long time ago, 21 years to be exact my wonderful, paternal grandparents decided that they would start a annual family reunion with their children and the families that those children had created. This tradition has been going on, every year since 1990 at a little beach town in North Carolina called Oak Island.

Oak Island is possibly one of my favorite places on earth. It is so beautiful, quiet and serene. It is the perfect beach to take young children because there is no boardwalk, just sand, sun and waves.

I feel truly blessed to come from such a big family. Everyone doesn't always make the beach trip, but this year most are at least making an appearance. My Grandma and Grandpa have five children. Child #1 has 11 children, child #2 has 5 children and 4 grandchildren, #3 has four children, #4 (my dad) has 5 children and 3 grandchildren and lastly #5 has 2 daughters (who are more like my sisters than cousins) and 3 grandchildren. If you're keeping count you also have to factor in 5 spouses who were added to the mix.

Since this trip was established it has been fondly known as "The Beach." We've never felt the need to explain to curious friends where we're going, they always know what we're talking about when we say we're going to "The Beach."

This years trip is bittersweet because my Grandpa's Alzheimer's disease seems to be progressing and it is especially noticeable when he is around so many people he only sees once or twice a year. Today, for the first time since my son was born my Grandpa didn't know who he was. I live about 7 minutes from his house, so he sees Danny all the time. I had to leave the room for a few minutes to compose myself because his condition is no longer something that I can ignore. My Grandpa is an incredible man, he served as an officer in the Navy for over 30 years, raised a beautiful family, is a wonderful husband, father and Grandfather. It breaks my heart to see him struggle to remember the names to so many faced he knows so well.

I hope to spend quality time with all of my aunts, uncles and cousins this week and especially some time with Grandpa, because I know his time is precious.

If you are interested in learning about Alzheimer's Disease check out this great site @ http://www.alzfdn.org/?gclid=CP7K2aHB9akCFYgRNAodCBsTag

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?