Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Happy One Year of Motherhood"

I honestly hadn't even thought about it like that at all.

Today is my sons first birthday, my first child. I have been so busy planning his party and trying not to break down into tears every time I see one of his newborn pictures that I didn't even think about the fact that I have been a mother for a whole year today. Being a mother is a pretty incredible thing. After spending nine months growing a human being inside (or waiting on your adoption/surrogate) you meet that little baby and your life is completely changed. Gone are the days of worrying about any drama you once cared about, you no longer think that the most important decision you'll make today is what you'll wear. Your life is all about that little person who you brought into the world. First you have to tackle nursing, then sleeping, rolling over, crawling, walking. The first year is full of so many challenges and wonderful moments. Looking back on my life I see how I used to be so concerned about things that just don't matter. If you told me a few years ago that my dream would be to stay at home with my children and write books for them I would have thought you were insane. Motherhood does that to you, it makes you see the world in a different light, it makes you see what is truly important to you and your family. I never understood the purpose of motherhood before I had my son because I never had a good relationship with my own mother. When I would hear about people loving their moms and being super close to them I just couldn't relate. Now I can. I now know the love and connection between a mother and child. I know how important it is for children to have a mother around who will care for them and teach them things. I know that my son is lucky because he has me to watch out for him and help him become a strong and kind man.

But I am the lucky one. My son gave me new life. My life wasn't off track or bad before he came into it, but there was something missing, I didn't know that at the time. My son has given me a new perspective on the world. I have so much love in my heart now, not just for him but for the whole world. He makes me work hard because I now have someone to work hard for. He makes me tick.

So here is a cheers to you, Daniel Thomas Bray Rice. My sunshine, my heart and my love. You are a sweet little boy with a huge personality. You have brought your father and I so much happiness in such a short amount of time. I can't wait to see you continue to grow and learn in your second year.

"Heaven blew every trumpet and played every horn on the wonderful, marvelous night you were born"
-Nancy Tillman

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?