Friday, August 10, 2012

Potty Training

My son is pushing 2 1/2 and he is not potty trained.

This is only a big deal because, before I was a mom, I was one of those people who believed that all children should be potty trained by age two.

I was an asshole.

Potty training Danny by age two was not physically possible because I was in school full-time until after his second birthday. The plan was to start potty bootcamp as soon as I graduated. So after a week or two of adjusting to being home I realized that he simply was not ready for it. He showed no interest in even sitting on the potty, and certainly did not care when he was sitting in a dirty diaper. My hopes and dreams of having a few months of no diapers before baby number two arrives was shot. I accepted it and moved on. I decided that if he still isn't showing a great deal of interest by Christmas then I will begin to force it on him. All the moms I know were very supportive and convinced me that there is no point in training him this close the the arrival of a new baby, because he will most certainly digress as soon as he sees his sister getting diapers.

Fast forward to this week, Danny is obsessed with peeing on the potty. He has done it at least twice a day. He loves the excitement that we show after each successful potty trip, and the lolly pop he gets as a reward. And now that his grandmother brought over Phillies underwear today he is even more obsessed. Tonight at bath time he ran to the potty, with a pair of the underwear in his hands, he then tries to sit on the potty and and put the underwear on at the same time. He is totally into this now. Perfect timing, right? Just a few weeks before my due date, my two-year-old wants to be potty trained.

I am trying to be positive about this, but also realistic and not push it too much.

Is it normal for a kid to be ready to potty train before the mom??

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this Mommy post?